Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Of Festivals and Festivities!

I have seen about 20 New Years and Christmas Eves hitherto. Every year, there is the same excitement, the same wait and the same planning which goes in to make the day special. However, the emotions, the hopes and the want change with each passing year. And that is why I guess people never have enough of festivals and festivities.

When I was a toddler, I always liked doing up the fern tree. It was as if I was decorating the most beautiful thing in the whole wide world. The hollies, the candies, the lights, the li'l parcels and the beautiful angel on top! It made a wonderful activity and it's completion marked the end of a joyful task. I always wished for large wrappings of GI Joes and HeMan castles which I firmly believe that I was gifted to by Santa Claus. Thinking back, I never thought that my 'Santa' was none other than Ma. But that's a different story all together. The new year's eve was always a time to go out with family, listen to good music, hug and kiss at the strike of midnight and then come back to the cozy burrow for a good night's sleep.

As time went by, the gifts gave way to bigger demands such as 'I want a cell phone' or 'I want those Air Jordans' and all that jazz. The quintessential feature of sharing small, yet meaningful, presents was done away with and materialism got the better of me! New Year's was a time to hang out with friends, go to clubs, cheat on you 'teetotaler' image and come back in the wee hours of the morning. Quite a drastic change, which I seemed to have enjoyed thoroughly.

Then there were times when I had examinations looming on my head and thus the prospects of going out were nil. Zilch. Zero. I hated those times. I hated flipping channels and watching 'Naye Saal Ka Jalwa' on some godforsaken entertainment station. In retrospect, it was all worth it. The good things did happen to me, and well, 'sacrifices' which were meant for the 'greater good' did bear fruit.

This year, I plan to have have my favourite plum cake with something 'heady' to celebrate Christmas eve. Though, I am not sure whether I will be able to gorge on roast turkey, but I wish this wish of mine comes true too. New Years this year would be a thoroughly family affair with a nice movie to catch up with and some great conversations to look forward to. Oh yes! I almost forgot - Shopping! Now how much cash do I have?! :)

Wrapping up, I would like to wish all of you a Merry Christmas and a very happy and joyful New Year! Hope it turns out great for all you people.
Cheers!

9 comments:

  1. Happy New Ear, Anunaya! May it grow on you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year to you too!
    Lol.. I hope it does!
    PS: Am I that deaf?! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The innocence which I lost with my evolution, rushes back to me at this time of the year, when I see the santa and hear 'Jingle Bells' in the background.

    And nothing beats a Christmas spent with the family. Merry Christmas and a happy new year to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very well said Amit! And the feeling it likewise!
    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm having a warm Christmas here. Wish you the same warmth too. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. To you too Anirudh. Have a fantabulous time ahead. I am sure you will!

    ReplyDelete
  8. To all a Merry Christmas.
    And a happy new year.

    ReplyDelete