Sunday, February 28, 2010

Roll No. 6 And All That!

It's been good 4 days since I've (crash) landed in my pad. The bed is as cozy as ever and food just doesn't seem to fill me enough. These are the days!

*Bliss*

And then yesterday was the much awaited (?) Sanskriti School Reunion 2010. According to completely (un)reliable sources, the members of the fairer sex were preparing for this gala event for weeks. Dresses to be decided, accessories to be matched and all that jazz - all this and more took up a great amount of time for these folks. 'Business Casuals', they said was the dress code. I know I am not a Fashion Guru, but THOSE pieces of vegetation that were adorned by my honourable schoolmates were NOT at all professional. Well, maybe for a profession of a different kind...

Anyway, so I met old pals, and also those whom I'd never wanted to meet again. Hi5s exchanged, hugs warmly reciprocated and the usual, "Oh my gawd! Is this you?!" refrain was politely answered. In all of this, I sneaked out for sometime and went back to my favourite hangout spot in that 8000 square metere land. I was at the bamboo gardens again! I remember sitting in the shades of those tall fibrous creatures and reading Hosseini's engrossing novels. I remember the times when we missed classes only to play the mighty Truth or Dare and invariably, I was always directed to ask some random person for a date.

*Smiles*

So yesterday, once more, I sat their quietly and took everything in. The trees were the same, a whole lot taller though, and the ground was strewn with dry leaves. I could see the pond about a 100 yards away, still and unfazed.

And then all of a sudden, I didn't feel alone. I felt warm, and secure. I guess this is what school does to you! It takes you back in time, to a time when you were happy - well almost- and really didn't bother about the undesirable elements. I have no qualms in admitting that school - particularly Sanskriti - was the best thing that happened to me! And I'm sure, nothing can take that away from me.

Did I leave a part of me yesterday in those trees? Or did I gain myself again?
Give me a moment to ponder.

8 comments:

  1. i love reunions (who doesn't?!) and i liked the post too! very ambient :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written. Reminds me of my own days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cried in 11th, when I realized I had only a year left. During our farewell, I was comfortably numb.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Evolution, Anirudh!
    P.S.: I cried too, but on the last day of school. I still twitch a bit when I recall that day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel the whole concept of a planned reunion is stupid. You spend so much time thinking of what to do that when the moment arrives, you end up doing next to nothing.

    Sponti meetings are the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree Shreyas! You never seem to be the desired you at planned events of any kind.

    I love bumping into school folks at Khan. It's a very pleasant feeling!

    ReplyDelete