Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Verses, not quite!

I can never write poems. Never could.

There was this one time in school, 11th grade if I am not heinously mistaken, that my teacher asked us to pen down our thoughts on 'Harmony'. I was in one of those 'oh-I-so-don't-want-to-do-it' moods and thus, this was my magnum opus;

'Harmony, oh Harmony!
Where have you vanished this day?
I was content with the free classes hitherto,
This English pedagogue is the cause of my dismay!

.. '

And then the poem went on about how I would have murdered the Mathematics teacher, and how cacophonous was the Physics teacher's ranting. 'Harmony' was completely disregarded. But obvious, I did not submit this master piece. Instead I wrote one of those really sentimental verses on 'Love thy brother' and 'We are all one', and I never really liked it.

This sudden sprouting of poems on 'Blogosphere' has made me very jittery. It has reminded me of that treacherous day in school. But more importantly, it has made me realise that I am a complete novice when it comes to appreciating these jewels.
A thing of beauty is a joy forever. Well for me, more often than not, I always end up going through verses in haste as I really cannot sample the delectable taste of the master's writings.

But I do promise the Shepherds, the heat-stricken victims in October, and the root 3 mathematics geek (!) that I am trying real hard. I really ought to do justice to your writings and thus I have vowed to read through, very patiently at that, each and every word of thy composition.

Till then, bear with me. I am an apprentice at work, and I shall not let you down!
*Salute*

11 comments:

  1. Welcome to the club, which, you may not like to know, was founded soon after I wrote a three-page poem in my high-school crush's journal whose chorus went like,

    "This is M2G from Honululu,
    writing a stupid little poem for you."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh crap!
    That's even worse than mine. I am elated Murty! Heh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could easily trump you both with my first hindi poem but I think I'll let it pass. Poetry is like alcohol- it takes time to get the point of it, too much can make you puke and if you find yourself driven to it, there's something wrong with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shrey! I am overcoming the nausea. Believe you me! *earnest*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Finally, situation has succeeded in extracting a serious comment from me.

    I seriously don't see the difference between prose and poetry, which are but children of the same mother. Just different forms of the same expression; though I agree the number of shepherds on the blogosphere has seen a riotous increase!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe you can easily outclass anyone if you get on to writing poems.I got your offline messages and shall I say I am honored, or would that be too less to say? Thanks Anunaya :) (though hyperlinks here and there would have been appreciated :P *kidding* )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anirudh, brothers from same mother, eh? Well. I don't know. Both the siblings are poles apart as far as I am concerned!

    Vikesh, I am not good at Flash and the likes you know! ;)
    And I can't outshine any god darn person man! Anyway, thanks for the praise that I hardly deserve! And yah, I wrote the truth to you in the offliner!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My sis recently surprised me by showing some of my earliest works of junior classes.It was prolly dated back to my third or fourth class.I wudnt quote the xact lines for general safety of the masses here but it was a 14 line epic in which each sentence ended with the likes of bat,cat,rat,mat etc.

    @pp2:do u stil posses the original version of ur magnum opus????plz increase the life span of all around u by making it public.

    @kondi:unqualified as i am to comment,i still feel that i sort of like poetry more than prose.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No PiSRA, I don't! And thankfully so! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Till recently, I never considered anything remotely poem which failed to rhyme the last words of the lines, and frankly for me, that was the sufficient criteria for anything to qualify as one. But the bloggers of the distinguished community here have done exceeding well to change my notions. Would love to see some of your own works, at least 'Harmony' which seems to have all the right ingredients ( including 'oh-I-so-don't-want-to-do-it so goto Hell you teachers' attitude) for a hilarious and rebellious masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I already said, Love eqn of root three isnt my creation, so if u are comparing urself wd some lyricist for some hollywood movie and letting urself down, Its a crime man !!
    and lets not compare ourselves wd Vix, that's a high magnitude crime. We cant match him.
    Hope to read some poems by you.
    ( hopen against hope.... Ogden Nash )
    :P

    ReplyDelete